So we have all been there…bored with our hair and wanting to try something new. I have had long dark hair for most of my life. For all of college, I focused on just growing my hair out as long as I could, while still keeping it healthy. By my senior year, my hair was out of this world and close to my belly button in length. Not only was it long, but it was silky perfect hair. I took such amazing care of my locks and people were always commenting on it.
So as you can see above, I had hair that girls would kill for and I decided to be an ungrateful little bitch. I wanted a change and was thinking of lightening my hair. I had highlights in high school, but I have had black hair for the majority of my adult life. I went to my hair girl and asked her to lighten the bottom of my hair (this was the beginning of the end). I am not patient by any means so of course I wanted my hair to be blonde right away. I let my friend (who is not trained to do hair) keep trying to lighten my hair almost once a week. Not only was my hair orange, it was burning off. I was so obsessed with trying to be blonde, I didn’t even notice my hair falling off. In one summer I went from a perfect head of hair, to the most tragic mistake I have made in my 20s. I had to go to a professional to fix my orange hair with Olaplex and 10 hours of work and I was only blonde for about 4 months total. I then panicked and made my hair girl dye it back to my signature black. I ruined my hair for absolutely no reason.
So my new goal was to get my old hair back! Luckily I had a good routine with my hair as it was, so I didn’t have to change anything too much to start bringing my hair back to life. It has taken me from September 2016-September 2018 to get my hair back to “normal” and it still isn’t the length and softness it was before my quarter life hair crisis. But enough of me bitching, I want to teach you guys how to repair your hair and train it to be the healthiest it can be!
How to Turn Your Black Box Hair Dye into a Professional Dye Job (trust me!)
So I am the queen of DIY beauty treatments. Now I may have damaged my hair with box dye, so you are probably thinking I am an idiot. But I now have mastered the perfect combination to keep my hair safe with box hair dye. This only works if you if you have dark hair and are staying dark. Hair looks amazing with a fresh dye and due to my hair supplements, my hair has been growing like crazy, which has forced me to dye my hair every 1.5-2 months. I also make sure I trim my hair to keep the ends looking and feeling healthy.
How I get my perfect hair at home!
- LÓREAL Feria Rebel Chic Hair Dye in Cool Black: I absolutely love this brand and won’t use anything else at this point. It makes my hair so shiny due to the “shimmering color”, which is the look I want. The conditioner they include with the dye is amazing!
- OLAPLEX (Travel Kit): So this is the secret to my madness. Olaplex is what Chris Appleton used to turn Kim Kardashian’s black hair into her signature platinum blonde look, in a few days time. It is actually not available to people who don’t have their cosmetology license, but I obviously found a way around it by ordering the travel kit from Amazon. The travel kit only comes with steps 1 & 2, which are the most important during the dying process. You will still need to order step 3, which is the conditioning masque.
- Step 1 is the Bond Multiplier, which you will mix in with the hair dye. It rebuilds broken hair and prevents further damage during the dye.
- Step 2 is the Bond Perfector, which goes onto the hair after rinsing the hair dye but before shampooing and conditioning. You let it sit for about 5 minutes to really build the healthiest and strongest strands possible.
- Step 3 is the Hair Perfector, with is just a hair masque that can be used once a week or so to keep everything soft and healthy.
My Exact Hair Care Routine Step by Step
- Shampoo with Paul Mitchell Moisture Daily Shampoo: I only wash my hair once or twice a week.
- Jafra’s Scalp Massage and Hair Treatment Masque: I massage the treatment into my hair and make sure it covers every inch of my hair. I let it sit in my hair for atleast 5 minutes (while I shave or whatever).
- Paul Mitchell Moisture Daily Treatment: This is my conditioner, so I work it into my hair, especially my ends. I DO NOT RINSE THIS FROM MY HAIR! It sounds crazy but I do not wash my conditioner out of my hair. You have to train your hair to adjust to this because it will make most people’s hair greasy at first.
- Paul Mitchell Smoothing Super Skinny Serum: I put this all through my wet hair.
- It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product: I then spray this throughout my wet hair.
- Drybar’s Prep Rally: I then spray this ‘prime, prep and detangler’ in my wet hair. It has UV and heat protection so it is great for pre blow drying.
- CHI Silk Infusion Serum: I put a little bit of this product on the ends of my wet hair!
- Now I let my hair air dry if I can. Most of the time I am busy so I will use my Drybar Buttercup Blow Dryer. It may seem like I have so much product in my hair that it seems impossible that it is not greasy, but my hair needs this routine or it will not feel its best.
- I don’t use a ton of heat on my hair but if I have to curl or straighten it, I will use my Drybar Tools.
- Every day I take my Hairtamin Hair Supplement and this has made a dramatic difference in my hair’s length and health!
- When I need something for my hair but won’t wash it yet, I will use Drybar Dry Shampoo and Dry Conditioner.
Let me know if you have any go to products that I have to try or if you have any questions! Always take the best possible care of your hair!